Award-winning neurologist and neuroscientistBiography:
Steven Laureys is Research Director at the National Fund for Scientific Research (FNRS). He founded the Coma Science Group (2006) & directs the GIGA Consciousness Research Unit at Liège University, Belgium. Currently, he is invited professor at CERVO Brain Centre, Laval University & CIUSSS, Canada.
For more than 25 years, he has been conducting pioneering research into human consciousness. He studies human consciousness using the latest brain imaging technology and wearable devices, assessing coma states, near-death experiences, concussion, anaesthesia, hypnosis, meditation, trance and dreams. He is the author of at least 500 peer-reviewed scientific papers.
He has also published several books, including The Neuroscience of Consciousness, and popular books such as the international bestseller The No-Nonsense Meditation Book (in collaboration with the Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard). Dr. Laureys is a former president of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness and founder of the World Federation of Neurology Research Group on disorders of consciousness.
Since 2012 Dr. Laureys has been the Research Director at the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research.Achievements:
- Prof. Dr. Laureys has received awards from the European Academy of Neurology, European Academy of Sciences, German Max Planck Society and US Society of Cognitive Neuroscience.
- He is listed as a leading physician in the following areas of expertise:
Locked-in syndrome (#1 of 515 experts worldwide)
Persistent vegetative state (i.e., unresponsive wakefulness after coma) (#1 of 3,392 experts worldwide)
Disorders of consciousness (#1 of 17,711 experts worldwide)The speaker talks about:
As a leading neuroscientist, he applies neuroscience to business practice, including neuroeconomics (human decision-making), neuroergonomics (productivity and well-being at work), creativity, teamwork and leadership (empathy, compassion, stress). His keynotes makes complex brain concepts accessible and bridges the gap between the latest neuroscience and its application in the workplace.Keynote Speaker Programs:
- How human intelligence and creativity differs from Intelligence and neuro-robotics
- Creativity, teamwork & leadership (ethics, value & empathy)
- Neuro-ergonomics (work performance and mental wellbeing at work & home)
- Entrepreneurs' mindset & neuro-economics (cognitive flexibility, innovation & human decision making)
- Restorative sleep, stress, alertness & focus
- Mindfulness & compassion
- Translating neuroscience & the power of the mind to the business practice